بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
In the name of Allah, Most Beneficent, Most Merciful
Islam is a religion of peace and a way of life directed towards the molding of better individuals and responsible citizens, in a pattern laid down by Allah (God), through the Quran and his messenger, Muhammad, may peace be upon him.
The Islamic Centre of Southwest Ontario is a non-profit, religious charitable organization (registration # 897762696). It was established in 1994 by 8 founding families as the second Islamic institution in London, Ontario, Canada. London’s Muslim Community is estimated at 30,000 people whose roots can be traced to over 40 countries and speak over a dozen languages. While many in our community are immigrants from around the world, London’s first Muslims arrived as early as the late 1800’s, the majority of which are second, third and fourth generation indigenous Canadian Muslims.
The Islamic Centre of Southwest Ontario strives to provide programs, services, and education according the tenants of Islam to grow a strong, safe and welcoming community. It aims to promote and advance the pillars of the religion of Islam by practicing the observances, tenets, and doctrines associated with the faith. The Centre provides religious education and fosters understanding of the principles and values of the faith of Islam.
The Islamic Centre of Southwest Ontario exists in order to bring members of the faith of Islam together, to bring, raise and keep children and youth within the faith, to increase knowledge and the practice of faith and to provide a place of worship that is inclusive and welcoming to all.
The Centre routinely invites and welcomes individuals and groups from the greater London community and religious organizations to visit, tour our centre and meet our members so they may learn and better understand the religion of Islam and their Muslim neighbors.
To develop and maintain a vibrant, inclusive, and charitable Islamic organization that provides a comprehensive range of religious, educational and social programs and services to the residents of London and Southwestern Ontario.
Our Vision is to maintain the Islamic Centre of Southwest Ontario as a grassroots facility that serves the Muslim community while promoting strong and deep relationships with the London community at large. We strive to be:
- An upright place that promotes the values of peace, moderation, kindness, charity, forgiveness, patience, perseverance and neighborliness, in the spirit of Islamic teachings.
- A community centre and mosque that develops and strengthens its member’s identity as Canadian Muslims through civic engagement and integration.
- An educational centre where members can learn and practice the teachings of Islam.
- A welcoming place for people of all backgrounds seeking an understanding of Islam and Muslims.
- A family-friendly facility where people young and old, men, women and children are treated with respect and equality. An egalitarian place where attitudes of racism, sexism and extremism are NOT tolerated whatsoever. Discussions expressing ideas or attitudes that support racism, misogyny, terrorism, extremism or any form of hate speech either oral, written or in multimedia format will not be allowed in this Centre. Politically charged events and discussions are not permitted in this mosque.
- A peaceful sanctuary where people can come to worship, and gather in tranquility.
- A community-oriented place that brings together a group of worshippers who will be gracious and helpful neighbors to the surrounding local community and support an atmosphere of peace, tolerance and cross-community sharing.
- An interfaith space that provides a venue for different faith communities to interact and learn from one another in a peaceful and harmonious atmosphere.
- An informative place where access to other community services can be acquired.
- A green space where environmentalism is promoted and practiced.
- A charitable place where humanitarian and charitable causes are supported.